Autumn is apple season! Here are 10 simple apple recipes rounded up from some of my favorite bloggers, as well as my favorite savory dish incorporating apples, to help you enjoy this versatile and delicious fruit!
Are you sick of apples yet? I would be lying to you if I said that I don’t feel a little tiny bit tired whenever I think about all the apples we have yet to preserve. Just yesterday Jasper and I made four gallons of cider – that brings our total up to seven gallons in the freezer. Thank goodness the sweet taste of apples is worth all the hard work!
We’ve stocked the pantry with jars upon jars of homemade applesauce and apple butter. Our family goes through a lot of it! We use it as a side with dinner, as a topping on pancakes, as a sweetener when baking, and in a million other ways besides.
You might like: Those Old Heirloom Apple Trees
And then there’s all those apple scraps I’ve been using to make my own apple cider vinegar. I bottled the first batch a couple of weeks ago and have another gallon fermenting in my pantry. We’ve been using all the apples the trees can throw at us!
Are you looking for a few more ways to use up all those apples? Here are nine great and simple apple recipes, written and shared by some of my favorite bloggers!
Sweet, Savory and Simple Apple Recipes
- Homemade Pancake Syrup from Apple Peelings | Little House Living
- Apple Sugar | Learning and Yearning
- Maple Apple Butter | Homespun Seasonal Living
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Baked Apples | Fit as a Mama Bear
- Apple Pie Smoothie | The Pistachio Project
- Baked Apple Fries | Oh, The Things We’ll Make
- Cinnamon Honey Applesauce | These Lovely Acres
- Harvest Apple Jelly | Oak Hill Homestead
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats | Tasting Page
And, finally, here is one of my own favorite recipes featuring apples. It’s a savory dish, which apples compliment well with their crisp sweetness. As always, fresh fruit right off the tree will work and taste the best, but if you don’t have any then buying some local and organic fruit is the next best thing. Enjoy!
Chicken and Apple Meatballs Recipe
This is one of my family’s favorite dishes, all year long. Serve with a big dollop of homemade applesauce and mashed potatoes for a lovely meal. They’re also easy to freeze for later!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Yields: 15-20 meatballs
- 1 apple (we prefer sweet apples), finely grated
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey, if you prefer)
- 2 tsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- flour, for coating
- oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, stirring until softened.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Mix together the chicken, apple, breadcrumbs, yeast and spices. Stir in the sautéed onion and garlic
- Form the mixture into small balls and roll in flour
- Fry in oil until golden-brown and cooked through
Notes: If you prefer not to fry in oil, you could also bake the meatballs at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or use an air fryer if you’ve got one.
If you make this recipe I would love to know! Or, if you have any other favorite ways to use your apple harvest, please link to or tell me about them in the comments. We can always use more ways to eat up those apples!
Pin the image below to save this recipe for later or share it with others!
Shared at: Oakhill Homestead