2017 was the year we bought the farm.
It was also the year we destroyed and subsequently rebuilt a house (we hired somebody) and upgraded our septic system (we did it ourselves!). It was the year we took our first big family vacation (to the Redwoods and Disneyland) and bought our first LGD, Rowan. It was the year we all saw our first solar eclipse and the year that both of my girls went to school full-time.
But it was not the year we accomplished a single one of our other goals. Whomp whomp.
Thank goodness for new years and fresh starts!
My plan is to write a whole post on each of these goals throughout the year, to go into more detail about the hows and the whys and the progress (if any) that we’re making. Hopefully, now that we actually live out here we can get more done, and already I see that we’re making little inroads on some of these! They’re all really pretty simple, but to check any of them off the list as finished would go a long way toward fixing up this old farm. So, without further ado, here are my goals for 2018:
- Rent a dumpster (again) and get rid of the remaining junk
- Build a duck house and yard
- Acquire some ducklings
- Paint and shingle the chicken coop
- Build raised beds and cold frames for year-round salad greens
- Build and plant a strawberry patch
- Transplant raspberry canes to a permanent raised bed
- Prune fruit trees
- Build a better garden fence
- Expand garden
- Clean out the garden shed
- Clean out the greenhouse
- Beautify backyard
- Landscape around house
- Fence in the lower field
- Paint, clean out and fix up the wood shop (or, as we call it at present, the ugly old garage down by the road)
- Cut down blackberries and miscreant alders
- Begin to build perimeter fence
- Fix or replace the tractor
I’m so excited for this year! Excited to finally be in our house, living here on the most beautiful forty acres I could imagine.