2017 Seed Order #2 (and 3,4,5,6)
The winter stretches on, the cold weather lingers, and the seed orders come filtering in.
I meant to do each group individually as they came, but then they all seemed to come at once. I still need to figure out where in the garden I’m going to put all these guys (and as I look, there seems to be an overwhelming amount to try to fit in!), but I’ve got a little time yet to do that.
I decided to try out two new seed companies this year, Pinetree Garden Seeds and Seeds of Change. Both companies sell seeds that are not genetically engineered, which is important to me. Before ordering, I read some negative reviews about the germination rate of Pinetree Garden Seeds, but their prices were very good and I found some varieties I hadn’t seen anywhere else, so I decided to give them a shot. I’ll let you know how they do. As for Seeds of Change, I knew they were a company as I’ve seen and eaten their Quinoa and Brown Rice from Costco. I didn’t know they also sold seeds, but it turns out they do! Their seeds are non-GMO and organic, so that’s a plus; also, the seed packages are made of a nice food-grade mylar and are resealable. I know that’s a small thing in and of itself, but it means that I can save seeds from the plants themselves and reuse the bags indefinitely.
Now, on to the seeds!
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds:
- Carrots, ‘Cosmic Purple’ (this was a free gift from the company – I haven’t had much luck with purple carrots in the past, so I’m eager, if skeptical, to see how these do.)
- Herb, ‘Toothache Plant’
- Lettuce, ‘Flashy Butter Gem’
- Lettuce, ‘Sanguine Ameliore’ or ‘Strawberry Cabbage Lettuce’
- Radish, ‘Malaga’
- Strawberry, ‘Tresca’
- Turnip, ‘Purple Top White Globe’
- Watermelon, ‘Blacktail Mountain’
Annie’s Heirloom Seeds:
- Beans, ‘Black Turtle’
- Beans, ‘Cannellini Lignot’
- Beans, ‘Dark Red Kidney’
- Beans, ‘Vermont Cranberry’
- Cauliflower, ‘Annie’s Rainbow Mix’ (this is a blend containing Early Tuscan, Macerata Green, Precoce di Jesi and Violet of Sicily seeds)
- Onions, ‘Australian Brown’
- Onions, ‘Ruby Red’
Pinetree Garden Seeds:
- Carrots, ‘Tendersweet’
- Onions, ‘Crimson Forest Bunching’
- Tomato, ‘Polish Linguisa’
- Tomato, ‘Pink Berkeley Tie Dye’
- Watermelon, ‘Tom Watson’
Seeds of Change:
- Basil, ‘Genovese’
- Shelling Peas, ‘Green Arrow’
Ed Hume Seeds:
- Carrots, ‘Scarlet Nantes’
- Cucumber, ‘Homemade Pickles’
- Onions, ‘Walla Walla Sweet’
- Onions, ‘Evergreen White Bunching’
- Peas, ‘Alderman (or Tall Telephone)’
- Peas, ‘Lincoln (or Homesteader)’
- Peas, ‘Super Sugar Snap’
I think that I am now done buying seeds. I’d like to find all my old seeds, because I have some pumpkin varieties I’d like to plant again, but finding anything in the sea of boxes we have is daunting at best.
Now it’s on to setting up a seed starting area and getting these babies to grow!